NC GLOBAL DISTINCTION is a collaboration between NC community colleges and UNC at Chapel Hill to globalize the curriculum and increase faculty and student involvement in global issues, activities and dialogue through the implementation of a global distinction program. This initiative is developing a national model for university-community college cooperation in global learning. The primary components of the initiative include:
- students complete at least 15 credit hours of globally intensive courses
- students participate in 8 international activities and dialogue
- students gain global experience (30 hours of participation in either study abroad or a domestic intercultural experience)
- students give a capstone presentation related to their global learning participation
- students completing this program have “Graduated with Global Distinction” on their transcript
World View and the National Resource Centers and University Library at UNC are providing the following support for this initiative:
- Globalizing courses to create “globally intensive courses” for the initiative. This is accomplished through a program of grants and university research visits for community college curriculum teams to create modules to infuse global connections, context, and content into selected UGETC courses.
- Supporting international activities and dialogue at colleges through speakers, films, webinars, webcasts and other activities that educate and inspire faculty and students about key issues in the focus areas of participating NRCs.
- Professional development for faculty at participating colleges
- World View organizes and directs the initiative.
Community Colleges in the NC Global Distinction program:
Asheville-Buncombe Community College, Durham Technical Community College, Caldwell Community College, Central Piedmont Community College, College of the Albemarle, Davidson County Community College, Forsyth Technical Community College, Gaston College, Guilford Technical Community College, Nash Community College, Pitt Community College, Rowan-Cabarrus Community College, South Piedmont Community College, Wilkes Community College.
If your college is interested in becoming a College of Global Distinction, please contact Neil Bolick (919-843-5332 firstname.lastname@example.org).