World View is pleased to announce our collaboration with the Duke-UNC Consortium for Middle East Studies on the upcoming Global Islam and the Arts Teacher Fellows Program.
This intensive professional development opportunity will feature a year-long exploration of Muslim cultures through music, dance, and dramatic performances during the 2016-17 Carolina Performing Arts season, integrated with readings, scholarship, discussion, and pedagogy. This project aims to deepen teachers’ understanding of global Islam through a cultural arts perspective while dispelling misconceptions and encouraging culturally responsible teaching in the K-12 classroom.
Fellows will receive:
- Intensive and ongoing professional development throughout the year-long program
- Free tickets to Carolina Performing Arts 2016-2017 season performances related to this program (minimum attendance of 5 performances/discussions required)
- Access to scholars and artists specializing in Global Islam, Sufism and related topics
- Free meals before each performance, and at the orientation and culminating workshop
- Travel reimbursement (depending upon your distance from UNC-Chapel Hill)
- Substitute reimbursement (if you must miss part of the school day in order to arrive at UNC-Chapel Hill in time for programming and your school can not cover the cost of a substitute, Fellows can request a substitute scholarship)
- Up to 5.0 CEUs (upon completion of all program requirements)
- A $500 stipend (upon completion of all program requirements)
You can learn more about the program here.
Applications are due April 15, 2016.