Julie Kinnaird | July 7, 2022
Fifteen North Carolina educators have been selected to participate in UNC World View’s Fellows Program, The Sustainable Development Goals for a Better World. The Fellows hail from many counties across North Carolina, from the mountains to the coast, and teach in a diverse range of disciplines. We are honored to work with this talented group over the course of the next several months. Congratulations to our newest Fellows!
- YUSUPHA AUBER, Math Teacher, East Cary Magnet Middle, Wake County Schools
- JESSAMYN BAILEY, Art Teacher, High Point Central High, Guilford County Schools
- DENISE-MARIE COPELAND, Social Studies Teacher, Center of Applied Sciences and Technology, Brunswick County Schools
- KRISTEN COX, 8th Grade Science Teacher, East Cary Magnet Middle, Wake County Schools
- PATTI DONOHUE, K-8 Visual Arts Teacher, Johnson Street Global Studies, Guilford County Schools
- ASHLEY GRANT, Social Studies Teacher, Greene County Middle, Greene County Schools
- HOLLY KOLAROVA, ESL and EC Teacher, Clear Creek Elementary, Henderson County Schools
- MAGGIE LEGRAND, Social Studies Teacher, North Gaston High, Gaston County Schools
- ALISSA MCELREATH, 8th Grade ELA Teacher, Dillard Drive Magnet Middle, Wake County Schools
- ANGELA MOSER, English and Avid Teacher, Innovation Early College High, Pitt County Schools
- LAURIE NEWHOUSE, 1st Grade Teacher, Dillard Drive Magnet Elementary, Wake County Schools
- JENNIFER NICHOLS, Spanish Teacher, Cox Mill High, Cabarrus County Schools
- BEVERLY OWENS, Science Teacher, Cleveland Early College, Cleveland County Schools
- KATE WERNERSBACH, English Teacher, Wake Early College of Health and Sciences, Wake County Schools
- SEAN WHEAT, Global Studies Teacher, Oberlin Magnet Middle, Wake County Schools
In 2015, 193 countries adopted the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) as a call to action to achieve sustainable development, including economic development, social inclusion and environmental sustainability by 2030. The SDGs provide a framework, not only as a course of action to better the world, but for educators to introduce and integrate global themes in classrooms by learning about global issues and their solutions that impact communities across the globe.
The 2022-2023 UNC World View Fellows will be introduced to the 17 Sustainable Development Goals and learn more about the current status of these Global Goals and why these goals are important to North Carolina. Educators will develop a deeper understanding of the SDGs and the goals’ interdependence, and the need for integrated solutions. Through a series of in-person and virtual professional development, Fellows will be supported to develop curricula that further integrate global issues into the classroom.
This program is funded by the NC Department of Public Instruction, the UNC Office of the Vice Provost for Global Affairs and the UNC Office of the Provost.