Global Distinction Curriculum Grants
As part of the NC Global Distinction Program World View is providing grants funded by UNC National Resource Centers and World View donors for community college faculty to create global modules for courses they teach. A module is a self-contained unit that infuses global content, context and connections into the course. Key elements of a module are global learning outcomes, global learning activities and resources.
For this grant, we define global learning outcomes as statements that describe the global knowledge or skills students will acquire by the end of the class and global learning activities as the fundamental tasks that get students engaging in global thought and action. Modules must contain 2-3 global learning outcomes and 2-3 global learning activities. The final module (due April 1, 2021) must contain at least an additional 2 global learning activities. Global learning activities must be in at least 2 different formats – for example, you may not have students create presentations for all global learning activities. These modules will be used by community colleges in the NC Global Distinction program and will be made available to all community colleges in the state through the World View website.
Individual instructors may apply to create a module for a course they teach. They will receive $750 upon completion of the module. EMAIL PROPOSALS TO: email@example.com.
Deadlines and Details
- NC Global Distinction Grant Application open: July 1, 2020
- Due date for proposal submission: October 1, 2020
- Grants award notifications: October 15, 2020
- Based on proposals World View will arrange a one-day research visit to UNC for individual faculty to work with UNC University Library area studies specialists, National Resource Centers and appropriate faculty. As we monitor the COVID-19 situation, we will make adjustments to the format and timing of meetings so that the grant cycle can continue
- Individuals are encouraged to submit modules within one month after research visit. Final date for module submission is April 1, 2021
- The review committee will provide feedback two weeks after receiving modules
- Final revisions of modules due May 1, 2021 and all citations must conform to the guidelines of the Style Manual of the American Psychological Association, Sixth Edition
Grants are available for modules covering Africa, Asia, Europe and the European Union, Latin America, the Middle East and North Africa and a combination of world regions. Please check appropriate world region(s) on the application (no more than two). All applicants are encouraged to focus on no more than two regions that best fit their module.
Applicants are required to utilize the NC Global Distinction Application Template when completing the application. Please also consult the tips for starting a module for ideas and here is a link to a sample module and previously globalized course modules. Email completed proposals to firstname.lastname@example.org.