2018 Fellows Program
July through December 2018
Chapel Hill, NC
5.0 CEU / 50 PDCH offered
Application deadline: May 16, 2018
K-12 and community college educators of all disciplines from World View partner institutions are invited to apply to the 2018 World View Fellows Program. This interdisciplinary professional learning opportunity will deepen educators’ understanding of contemporary global environmental issues and resources for teaching about these issues. This program culminates in the creation of study guides with educator resources created by World View Fellows in connection with the Population Institute’s OVERBook. This selective program will accept a total of 12 fellows representing a variety of disciplines across K-5, 6-8, 9-12 and community college.
Specific Program Objectives:
- To build the learning capacity of K-12 and community college educators in the field of environmental and sustainability studies and provide an opportunity for K-14 educators to create study guides with educator resources, publish them and share them with their colleagues at their schools and community colleges.
- To create study guides with educator resources for K-12 and community college educators, which will be piloted and published online to accompany the OVERBook as a tool to inspire and teach K-12 and community college students about global environmental issues.
- To create a collaborative national model that serves K-14 educators as they develop global classrooms to prepare students to engage in an interconnected and diverse world.
World View Fellows Program Benefits:
- Fellows who successfully complete all program requirements will be eligible for up to 5 CEUs or 50 PDCH
- Fellows who successfully complete all program requirements will earn a stipend of $1,000
- Fellows will receive one copy of the OVERBook
- The following program costs are covered for participating fellows:
- Registration fees for the July workshop
- Dinner and lodging in Chapel Hill for one night during the July workshop
- Registration fees for the Fall 2018 World View Global Education Symposium
World View Fellows Program Conditions of Participation
- Each participant of the World View Fellows Program must be a practicing educator from a World View partner institution (to check whether your school, district or college is a partner of World View, click here).
- Each participant is required to attend the two day workshop in Chapel Hill, July 19-20, 2018. Participants will engage in intensive, interactive collaborative professional learning focused on environmental issues and curricular resources related to the OVERBook.
- Each participant is required to attend World View’s Fall 2018 Global Education Symposium in Chapel Hill.
- Each participant must read or view all required program materials (print and digital) provided by World View and complete any scheduled assignments in connection with the World View Fellows Program.
- Each participant is required to pilot at least one OVERBook study guide component in their classroom in Fall 2018.
- Each participant is required to submit final program deliverables by the deadline (and complete any necessary revisions) in order to earn the stipend and CEUs/PDCH. Final deliverables will be published and made available on both the World View and Population Institute websites.
Note: please download and save your application prior to completing it digitally.
|2018 World View Fellows Program Timeline|
|April 16||Application period opens|
|May 16||Application period closes
Applications and supporting materials are due by 5:00 p.m. on May 16, 2018
|May 30||Applicants are notified of the review committee’s decision|
|July 19-20||2018 World View Fellows Program introductory workshop|
|August-November||Ongoing communication, independent work|
|Fall||World View’s Global Education Symposium
(K-12 Fellows attend the October 17-18 symposium)
(CC Fellows attend the November 14-15 symposium)
|November 1||Final deliverables due|
|December 3||Final revisions due|